Sunday, October 25, 2009

What is imagination?

What is imagination/creativity?

Hmm..that’s a tough question. Okay, maybe not so. I guess creativity is....well anything and everything! I agree with the idea that as we grow older, our creativity and imagination dwindle. We have more and more constraints to what we can think of, what we cannot think of, what we can do, what we Cannot do..etc, you get the point. I probably was ten times more imaginative ten years ago than I am now! The world shapes our view of ourselves, it compares us with others. We even compare ourselves! I mean, all these talk of ‘I confirm cannot make it (one lah)’ and ‘I’ll never be as good as him/her’, they all come from our own bad experiences, and of course, the worlds’ judgemental view on us.

I feel that we’ll all be much more creative if we didn’t care what people think of us and our designs. I admit, every time I start drawing, sketching my ideas, i have a thought stuck in my mind: ‘Would people like this?. That itself already staunches my creativity. It sets a barrier to what I can do, because I’m only doing what I think people Would like. I’m not doing it to my utmost potential...I’m not letting go of preconceptions and creating something original.

Soo.. I think design should be free. Free of every assumption we’ve made before, so that the mind can take control with its full potential, OR, maybe the mind Doesn’t have to take control at all! I truly believe the sub-concious is something really powerful. Tried and tested, I draw better when I’m doing something else, like chatting on the phone... Kudos to HTI =) ! (thinking deep right now)

Hmm..my conception of creativity after coming into SD? I think I’ve begun to dive deeper into the realm of imagination. It’s like, I used to be just at the surface, skimming the top of the ocean of potential within my (real deep) mind. But now I’m diggin, digging and finding things I’ve never expected to have! That’s the great thing about SD. Cos its like, everyone has potential to do wonderful stuff, but its whether we get the chance to develop that potential. SD does that, so go go go SD! =)) Just hope the homework won’t kill us before that=p (hint hint to lecturers**)

Let not the mind be filled with only things poured into it, but let it pour awesome things out instead!