Friday, October 30, 2009

Don Norman’s video-3 ways good design make you happy

1. Think about the role of emotions/mindset in the creative process. Remember the example he cited. Recall any brainstorming sessions you conducted before (as well as the in-class exercise earlier) - were the sessions conducted effectively? Why/not?

The role of a person’s emotions during the creative process... is VERY important. Really. I think if we’re in a relaxed mood, we’ll definitely be able to think better, and we’ll have better ideas. Of course, it is when we’re feeling happy that we have the best ideas.

It is kinda like, say, singing. You can’t really sing very well if you are bent over, the air just can’t get into your lungs, and the sound can’t come out. In the same way, we cannot think properly when we are all stressed up and tired. The mind has to take a breath before it can start generating ideas.

The brainstorming we did in class was good. Though I do still feel all the stress coming at me during the ‘closed eyes and relax’ sessions, but I felt better. More open. Its like my mind could take a break and think about something else for awhile. The doodling was fun too..my emotions poured out onto paper, like a load lifted off my chest (a little bit). So yeah, I really agree with the guy in the video, ‘does it work? Not really.. but it makes me happy!’ Design can make people happy =)